From now on you can install the update to Android 9 Pie on the Dutch Samsung Galaxy J6. This also brings the new One UI interface to the phone.
Galaxy J6 gets Android 9 update in Europe
More than two weeks ago the roll-out of the Pie upgrade for the Galaxy J6 started elsewhere in Europe. Since a few days the new software was also available for the Dutch device via Samsung’s Smart Switch software on the PC. But from now on you can also download and install Over The Air – OTA, directly on your phone.
In our country is the more than 1GB major update in the form firmware version J600FNXXU3BSD2. This contains three parts. First, the March security patch will be installed. This replaces the February patch that the Galaxy J6 received a few weeks ago. More important is the upgrade to Android 9, nicknamed Pie. This is a completely new version of the operating system. Moreover, it is equipped with Samsung’s much-discussed One UI interface. In this interface you will find new features such as Night mode, a Trash option in the Gallery, and easier one-handed operation.
You can now install the Android 9 update on Galaxy J6 devices. A message that you can download it appears automatically, so that your device has found the update. You can have it searched directly if you go to Settings via Software update and choose Download updates manually.
The update is not yet available for Belgian devices. And even if you bought your Galaxy J6 directly from T-Mobile, you will have to be patient.
After the installation
If you have installed the major upgrade on your Galaxy J6, the energy consumption in the first day (s) will be higher than you are used to. That is part of the process, and if all goes well this will normalize itself after a while.
In addition, you will not be the first who is not happy with the new icons of the One UI. Of course you can do something about it – read: set your own new icons in Samsung’s One UI. Moreover, the standard font in the interface is somewhat large. The one likes it, the other a little childish. Check our explanation for how to adjust the text size in Samsung’s interface.
Do you also have problems with individual apps, or does – for example – the agenda look strange? Then read our overview Troubleshooting apps after the Android 9 update.
Have you now installed the update on your Galaxy J6? What are your experiences with the new software? Will there still be striking bugs in the end? Let us know below!
What is custom ROM?
ROM is short for Read-Only Memory. It has many versions just like Windows OS does; no matter it is stock ROMs from companies, or custom ROM from third party. This new custom ROM can bring you the latest version of Android before your manufacturer. Anyhow, flashing a new ROM means installing a new operating system to your Android.
The new Android 9.0 Pie comes with many new features :
- Android Pie helps minimize background activity in the apps you use least, it's the super power you can't even see.
- With your permission, Autofill remembers your logins to get you into your favorite apps at supersonic speed.
- Picture-in-Picture allows you to see two apps at once, it's like having super strength and laser vision.
- Notification Dots: Press the notification dots to quickly see what's new, and easily clear them by swiping away.
- Android Instant Apps: Teleport directly into new apps right from your browser, no installation needed.
- Google Play Protect: Working to keep your device and data safe from misbehaving apps by scanning over 50 billion apps per day, even the ones you haven't installed yet!
- Whether you're talking, playing, working or streaming, you can feel confident about keeping your battery strong and full of life.
- Share the feels with a fully redesigned emoji set, including over 60 new emoji.
- Better RAM Management.
- It has a faster, smoother and more powerful computing experience.
- OpenGL ES 3.1 and Android extension pack brings Android to the forefront of mobile graphics putting it on par with desktop and console class performance.
- Responsive, natural motion, realistic lighting and shadows, and familiar visual elements make it easier to navigate your device.
- New devices come with encryption automatically turned on to help protect data on lost or stolen devices.
- State of the art video technology with support for HEVC main profile to allow for UHD 4K 10-bit video playback, tunneled hardware video decoding to save power and improved HLS support for streaming.
- and other cool features.
Note: If there is more than one download option, that likely means that you need to download and install the Bug Fix Update for your smartphone or tablet device before you can actually update to Oreo 8.0.
Step 1:Before you go trying to update your device, you should check which version of Android you are running. You might already be on the latest version. It's easy to check so follow this guide up to step four. This screen will have a section called 'Android version'. If it doesn't, click 'Software information' to find out.
Step 2:Scroll down the Settings menu and click on 'About Phone' or 'About Tablet'. If you have a tabbed settings menu then this will appear in the 'general' section.
Refer to Android developer page to choose which version of Android your phone or tablet is running. I.e, 4.0.4 corresponds to Ice Cream Sandwich, an old version of Android that was released in 2013.
Step 3:Note: Your phone or tablet may require a Wi-Fi connection to search for an update. We suggest you to download the software Droid Over Wi-Fi because the file size can be large.
Choose and click the "Software Update" option. Next it will search available update for your phone or tablet. If update is available, you will be asked if you want to install it. Select "yes" and it will install the new operating system in your device. If you want to install it later, you can download the Android Pie 9.0 file first. Download Android Pie_9.0.zip